R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Traction Compounds : Health Risks : what can we do about this?
Old 03-22-2007, 05:21 PM
Martin Crisp
Tech Fanatic

tempest2000

To answer your question
is it coming in contact directly that you have a problem with or is it just being in the air.

Both affect me. The skin on my hands become cracked dry, itchy and sometimes the cracked skin bleeds. Since wearing gloves more often than not, I have been able to reduce that issue.

The airborn vapours I can't avoid without wearing one of those high tech masks. I have worn them when truing tires, but for me I don't want to wear those heavy masks all day long.

I agree that tires are a big expense for drivers. There have been many debates on foam v.s. rubber as to which one is cheaper...so i won't go there . I prefer rubber tires personally but not because of a difference in cost.

At the end of the day, drivers only have so much money to spend on this hobby (as do sponsors on their drivers). I am not convinced that people will spend more than what they do today on the hobby. In other words if a driver spends $200 per month on average for this hobby, the driver will continue to spend $200 per month on this hobby on average, because that is what their personal budget can afford (everyone has a different budget). If my theory is essentially correct then just like today, a drivers budget will determine what type of tires they will buy, how often they will buy it and how much the true them down. etc.