R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Traction Compounds : Health Risks : what can we do about this?
Old 03-21-2007, 07:30 PM
A-Ko
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I tend to follow the lines too of rubber for TC sedans and foam for pancars. Although this winter I have been running 1 set of foams because rubber was not cutting it in an open tire TC stock class. The problem with foams and sedans you get guys trueing down their tires to next to nothing to gain an advantage. Yeah at big races you deal with 1 run wonders but on a local level I do think you should be able to make a set of tires last longer than 1 weekend. Luckily the current club I run with is a little different allowing me to stretch the life of my tires...

To keep people in the hobby there needs to be classes built for the average person that does not allow factory drivers and their trends to "spend money" (sponsor deals) that the average person cannot afford. Usually many factory guys run in stock, when really they should be in 19T or mod classes. I know that killed my interest in pancar oval stock, in its heyday. I have friends that don't get out much to race, they drive well but I could see them in a spec class that does not exhist locally, yet. . .

Back to the subject, probably the best solution is to have an alternative that works, is non-toxic and people are willing to support. If you totally ban it, there will always be guys showing up with tires that soaked over night or swapped with legal fluids to look legit. If there was a safer alternative, especially if it worked well with a safe easy to detect smell, you will eliminate or ban most of the "chemists" that want to experiment. . .