R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Mugen MTX-4
Thread: Mugen MTX-4
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2007, 07:48 AM
TomB
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chookgb
another thing to keep in mind is once you have stripped the gears check the pinions you will see they get a rounded polished look to them and i have found that when they get this you are more prone to future stripping, i am using the steel pinions which are longer lasting and less prone to restripping gears, but as i say if you strip gears more than once and you have checked all the points of advise previously posted i highly recommend replacing the pinions and if you do steel is the go
guys also, there is one major point i noticed no one ever says.

your pipes spring holder (wire attached to top deck) plays a major part in the engines ability to shift. make sure that when you tighten down your engine screws, and you are setting the mesh, that the pipe wire (the one attached to the top deck) is loose, ie; the screw that olds it onto the topdeck has play.

set your engines mesh, and tighten down screws when happy with mesh, tighten the pipe piano wire thingy (yeah sorry pour vocabulary).

to double check the pipe is not interfering, hold the pipe whilst you tighten down the screw. also undo the engine chassis screws, and pay close attention to the mesh. IF YOU SEE THAT THE MESH GAP INCREASES, YOUR PIPE IS PULLING THE ENGINE AWAY!! this will cause stripping!!! RE ALIGN THE WIRE THAT HOLDS THE PIPE SO IT DOES NOT PULL THE ENGINE AWAY.

the best thing is to have the gearmesh, stay the same when you loosen the screws or at least have the mesh become tighter. i have set my pipe to make the mesh tighter (ie push the engine towards the spur gears) on my car. this eliminates gear stripping. it also increases the wear of the pinions though, but avoids stripped gears as the pipe assists in holding the engine closer to the main gears