R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Traction Compounds : Health Risks : what can we do about this?
Old 03-18-2007, 07:37 PM
insuranceguy
Tech Rookie

I had the chance to experiment at the track today with SPF30 on my Jaco dbl/pink dbl/pink orange, during practice I was turning 12.4 - 12.8 lap times with a very old GP3700 pack.

During my qualifiers, with a fairly new matched SMC pack I turned a best lap of 12.17. Using Niftech Traction Compound.
I had to wipe the tires alot, but I did manage to get the car to hook up fairly well.

I certainly did not look stupid in practice, and I did not adjust my driving style at all.

I have taken the neccessary precautions now, gloves for compound, and today I even sprayed my motor cleaner outside, instead of into a garbage bin.

If some others had this same courtesy ie: the motor spray it would make things a little bit nicer going to the track, however there are more than a few racers out there that are ignorant ( as in lack of knowledge ) as to what and how these chemicals will effect you.
I really thought we were all a smarter bunch, apparently I was mistaken!

I seen Martin today at the track, and you could tell he was disappointed in having to give up this hobby, but health is more important to him, as it should be.

This will be my last post on this subject, so I want to take the opportunity to thank Martin, and wish him all the best with his future hobbies.

Grant