R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Ask Aaron Waldron
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2007, 04:06 PM
Horatio
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Aaron Waldron
I ALWAYS have fun. This is a hobby for me. I go to big races all the time and see people get upset and fired up and throwing equipment and yelling and fighting with people. I got a whole list of bad words screamed at me while practicing Thursday...I didn't even know what to say.

I can understand being competitive, and being bummed out over making mistakes. I do it all the time (I'm my own biggest critic.) But every time I get upset at the track I take a big step back and remember why I'm doing this.

If you're not having fun playing with toy cars. you need to find a new hobby. And probably a therapist.

I'm sure I'll talk a lot more smack to Mike tonight when we're at the track, but I was trying to keep it PC, for the internet. HAHA!
It's true, the fun element should not be lost in our sport/hobby (note the cunning use of both words in an attempt to be diplomatic )

Unfortunately, the bigger the meeting, the more likely it is that people forget that we're supposed to be having fun with like minded people, albeit in a competitive way.

As clubs strive to 'improve' and host increasingly bigger or higher profile meetings, it strikes me that along the way, there is a sort of exponential probability of politics spoiling things!

It seems the harder you work at making a club work well, the membership increases and before you know it, the number of 'awkward customers' steadily rises.

I remember seeing a guy throw his car into a crowded pit, narrowly missing a number of people, including a young child. Unbelievable. I was the only person on the committee pushing for a ban of some sort, possibly temporary and couldn't believe it when nothing actually got done.

Like any other organised meeting, you get to meet all sorts of people, some of whom may not actually be very pleasant.

On the other hand, I've yet to meet an RC Car that I haven't liked!