R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - should the 13.5 brushless be ran in a stock brushed class
Old 03-16-2007, 07:39 PM
Grizzbob
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fred kellner
It is really hard to make a point on R/C tech with people who are slow or don't know anything about racing. There is one race I know of that has run brushed and 13.5 in the same race. At the Novak race at Trackside hobbies both ran rubber tires, and if you look at the results you can see how much faster the lap times are for 13.5's. The pro's are not faster because they have special motors and batteries. They are faster because they are the best drivers around. The 13.5 won't level the playing field, the fast guys will always win because they are better drivers.
You're right, Fred, it does depend a lot on who's using it, but in more average hands(like mine, for example, I think I'm a bit closer to average in driving ability), it didn't make as much a difference. When I arrived in Milwaukee for the Novak, I was setup for brushed stocks & then on Thursday that week I broke down & got the 13.5 & switched to the Brushless class, so I got pretty equal time with both. And my best laps with the 13.5 were only about .2 sec. faster than my best with brushed, & my best complete runs were similarly close. And here at home, we're allowing the 13.5 with brushed motors, but only WITHOUT the sintered rotor, & because of the original one's being much more temp-sensitive, we have to gear more conservatively, & as a result, I think the racing is pretty darn close between the brushed & brushless, we get a good mix of guys with both, & each one's advantages seem to cancel each other out(& as usual, it ends up coming down to car setup & driving).....