R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Traction Compounds : Health Risks : what can we do about this?
Old 03-15-2007, 12:15 PM
quantum
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by EddieO
Indoors or not, nitro fumes are much more harmful......want to start some where, start there.....not only bad for us directly, but also indirectly on enviroment....

As for the traction as a good start.....well, unless you just ban it period, you are really accomplishing nothing other than targeting one company, while companies like Niftech get a free pass cause their stuff does not smell, even though I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt, that the chemicals in Niftech are MUCH more harmful to your health with case proven stuff....not a theory based on rats, rabbits or some guys nut sack.

Plus we get a whole nother arena of cheating......

Motor spray is another great example as a better place to start....the stuff is NASTY.....plain and simple. I hate using the crap, but it works and is conveinent.......really the only that works trackside.

Later EddieO
i think the dialogue between post #316 and #309 on pg 11 speaks to your comments very well.

there is no dispute that nitro fumes or motor spray can be toxic, along with may other substances we use, but the issue is that exposure can be concentrated indoors. its not just the usage of substances, but responsible handling of those substances by racers as well. you seem to have a well ventilated facility, your patrons are very fortunate, but someone pointed out that we should take steps to protect our young racers, who may not be aware of the need to reduce exposure. the way to do that is education, and to limit or eliminate exposure to dangerous chemicals.

while martin may be someone who is experiencing more pronounced symptoms, the number of people who have posted on this topic seem to suggest he is not far off.

ten years ago, i could eat anything and not gain a pound, and drink like fish and never get hungover, but that didn't mean i didn't do any damage to my body. waiting until symptoms show up is too late if we know its wrong now. when cigarettes were first made available, people didn't know about lung cancer, or second hand smoke, but now that we do it totally makes sense to ban indoor smoking...why should the habits of one affect the life of another.

in addition to what martin said in post #316, i would add that maybe if manufacturers could make foam tires available in a diameter that didn't require truing that could also be a solution...though personally i think rubber tires have come a long way in terms of grip levels and longevity.