R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - LiPo Awareness
Thread: LiPo Awareness
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2007, 05:59 PM
andrewdoherty
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Ive been running an Orion LiPo in my sedans for nearly a year and have not had a single issue. In fact I left my Orion 4800 plugged into the esc on accident once for about 2 weeks with the esc on. The voltage dropped to something around 4 volts (the standard on a safe voltage cut-off for this battery is 6.0-6.6 volts.) I went to run it and realized something was wrong when the car wouldn't even run. At first I was a little scared as I knew LiPos didn't like being over-discharged. But It wasn't swollen or hot and elicited no signs of damage, so I decided to charge it. At first my Ice wouldn't charge it as the voltage was too low. So I let it sit for about 30 minutes to self charge and tried it again. The voltage was up in the 5 volt range and the ice began charging it like normal. I'll tell you I watched it like a hawk for a good hour just in case. In the end it charged just like normal. That was over 3 months ago and I have not had any problems with it since. LiPo is all good as long as you go with quality cells.