R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Pantoura, 1/10 Pan Car, 2S LiPo, Brushless, Tips and Tricks.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:38 PM
John Stranahan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Losi nut- I agree. He has had trouble that I know of on two transactions out of hundreds. That is probably a pretty average amount. Things have calmed down some.

Anyway the Wide Pan car (235 mm rear, 212 mm front, 255 mm wheelbase) is about as pefect as can be with good hardcoated IRS Pivot balls. I see no real way to improve it. Finished. It was really fast on Saturday and keeping up with the Spec Class 1/8 scales with a driver that is as good as I am (or as bad as I am anyway). On the straight as well. I will race it Sunday and get some race lap times which should be even better if I get in a chase. I have taken efforts to make sure this car conforms with Pan car rules. I think that it does. Time for a new Project. Manufacturers are welcome to the design.

235 x 290 mm, 4S LiPo, Pantoura Chassis
If you have been following the thread you know that I plan to test the new Tekin R1Pro brushless speed control, when it becomes available, with a 4S LiPo pack, (two 2S packs in series). I feel the release is imminent. I have a speed controller back ordered. Now for a suitable platform.
I ordered a 1/10 scale Parma gas Lola body for my narrow car. I thought it would be a 200 mm. Well it is not; it is 235 mm front and back and takes a wheelbase 290-300 mm. This body actually fits the more or less rare 235 mm 1/10 scale gas class. By chance my recently purchased used Pantoura Chassis is about 1 inch longer in the front than on my wide Pan car. By chance also this Mini-T blue front suspension I am working on will have no trouble stretching out to a full 235 mm front width. So that is the plan. Should be a good platform for double the voltage (with maybe a 6.5 or 4.5R motor). The rear of the axle mounted shocks on the narrow car have more mechanical advantage than the front of the axle mounted shocks. So I may use rear shocks; this will allow them to support two batteries better. This will also test this setup on a wide car. This new car probably still fits in the 1/10 pan class, except for voltage, as the width and length restrictions are rather generous. We will see.

The 1/18 scale Losi Mini-T caster blocks and steering arms did not work out as they do not turn far enough. The highly angled steering arm limits the travel. I have a set from the Associated B4 with a spindle coming. These will be a better size and have a better ackerman for a wide car. The pan car steering arm may be a drop in fit. The advantage over what I have now is no pivot balls. Slightly better shock position.

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	235 - 290 mm car Resized.jpg
Views:	1648
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	212646  

Last edited by John Stranahan; 03-13-2007 at 09:11 PM.