R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Barracuda from Alex racing
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2003, 09:14 PM
fai
Regional Moderator

Default All about setting downtravel...

Here is my little experience about setting downtravel which requires only a flat surface and a ruler! I really hope to share this with all of you as you guys should have received your R2 Cuda already and busy in building them!!

First, just build all four dampers properly and set them to some reasonable length, ie., maybe 60mm at front and 63mm at rear. Then follow manual instructions to put in all dampers and screw-in the down-stop screws. Now, place the car on a flat surface (all wheels off). Then, here comes setting the down-travel:

Assume our tires are 31mm in radius, then if we want 2mm downtravel (or, rebound-stroke) in front and 4.5mm ride height, the equation will be
31 - 2 - 4.5 = 24.5mm! This value (24.5mm) is the height from the flat surface to the centre of wheel axle!! So, now, screw in (or out) the down-stop screw and measure with a ruler to get this 24.5mm.
Similarly with the rear end!

In other words, these parameters can be changed: now, if we want 3mm downtravel and 5mm ride height with a smaller tire, 30.5mm radius, here becomes: 30.5 - 3 - 5 = 22.5mm!

If you have a look at those Alex Team Drivers' setting sheets, you will see these setting values!

Sorry for my poor explanation!
Just my 0.02 cents!