R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 5 cell in 27t/19t
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2007, 07:18 PM
Disaster
Tech Adept

Anyone that thinks cost is NOT a big factor in the demise of the 1/10th TC class, at the local level, should spend some time reading the RECOIL thread.

RECOIL THREAD

Here are some quotes to chew on.

"For the money this car is a great buy and if Horizon supports it properly this car could be huge!"

"They will take the same kind of electronics that we are running in the other micro's! Anything that would be good to run in a Vendetta would be great in these too. That means, very high performance at a much lower cost than the 1/10 stuff that goes into a 1/12."

"Most 1/12 racing is pretty battery intensive and to be competitive, one must buy from the top of the heap in matched packs. A good 6 cell 2/3 A pack is $20, and you only need a couple."

"It sounds like a great "newbie racer" kind of vehicle at a price point that is attractive. And if it handles as well out of the box as it's cousin the Carisma it will be popular.

I ran a 99 dollar 1/14th Carisma at Duneland's track and it handled great, had good speed and handling box stock. I race Xray for 10th scale. I don't make the A main race in 10th scale but I have a blast just racing. The 1/14th scale gave me the same kind of feeling and it's WAY cheaper. It's the same feeling I have when on the same night as stock rubber 10th scale sedan we also run Tamiya Mini Coopers using TCS rules. the Mini is just plain simple fun.

I think anything that gets new people into racing is to be commended and encouraged. Especially if it's kids."

"All in all, I highly recommend the Recoil; for $170 you will be getting an excellent product that is raceworthy out of the box!"

"Even compairing matched packs, a 6 cell 2/3A pack goes for around $30. Can't touch a competetive 4cell 1/12 pack for that.
The brushless 1/18 systems are more than enough for the Recoil. The ones I suggested are the ones that work in the Vendetta and Mini Quake, which are larger/and have more torque. Such as the GH Airpower. So basically 300 to 400 size bl motors. Cost on most of those motors is less than a Mamba anyway. Any of the brushless escs we now use in 1/18, will be fine (especially the Quark33)."

"At $169.95 it is the most impressive package so-far in the micro scene....I think it is going to be a big hit!"

"...for ~$170 you definitely get your money's worth."

"I think box stock will make a great class addition...Personally for 170 bucks, I want to leave it as is and race others who leave their's stock so it's racer's skill not how much money is thrown at it that wins."

"...and a 10th scale TC is too big (and expensive)...Id also like to make it a brushless class. NOOO more micro motor maintainence...anyone who has raced micros knows what a pain in the ass it is to deal with brushed micro motors."

"...I think the car is going to be a hit lots of people at the track were interested and some talk about using it for a spec class"

"I just hope I dont kill the class before its born by throwing a brushless setup in it. Mind you Im NOT interested in BL for insane speed, I wouldnt mind atall if it wasnt much faster than stock. I only want it so that I dont have to work on motors."

"...it is priced low enough and the rtr equipment is not to crappy, so it doesn't hurt the budget to bad..."

"...So I put an ElectraFly outrunner in. It bolts up without mods, to the motor plate.....If someone was interested in a spec brushless class, the 2cell LiPo or 6 cell NiMh with this motor, would be a very nice class. The motor is made well, inexpensive, drops right in...."

"...Personally Im just getting back into the hobby and Im trying to keep things both economical and casual."

"....the potential that this car has to become the premier fast and fun spec class our hobby needs."

"...6 cell 2/3A pack (Integy Intellect 1400's are only twenty bucks)"

"One of the customers at StrictlyRC, Boss Hoss, recalled a blast from his past that I thought might be fun....A class of racing where the cars are owned by the hobbyshop and racers are assigned a car by picking straws....With a Carisma, using 4 cars, a hobbyshop could do it for about 300 bucks. And the cars take a heck of a beating, and you know guys will be knocking each other around just because the cars don't break easily."

"I'm with Kev...Box stock racing Recoils!!"

"The motors we are running now are; CIS14174 (Carisma r380 racing motor) with EFLM1910 adapter ring (makes for an effortless installation). Motors are $12.95 and the adapter is $2.99."

"...was very pleased with it for the price."

"I would think this will be a great stock race car...keep the cost low, and allow radio upgrade only....it should be fun to run."

"I have no interest in turning this into an overpriced mod class...but I refuse to deal with brushed mirco motors, just to much of a hassle. Im dropping a mild brushless motor in it as soon as I get one."