R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Magic G4
Thread: Team Magic G4
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2007, 06:32 PM
afm
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rcrevolution
my car is sitting in the box until i get the tools i also ordered to build it.

question though how much does the ED tranny go for, and what does it improve noticably?
The theory behind the ED Transmission System is to slow the speed of the transmission components and main shaft down. If you use the stock system, the Final Drive Ratio is 2.526. If you use the ED System, the Final Drive Ratio is 2.190, and because we are slowing the main shaft and all of the transmission components down, we have to gear the engine lower.

The transmission is the heaviest rotating part of the car and it takes the most power to spin it up and down between gears, and so it eats power (Inertia is the enemy). If we don't spin it up as high between gears, it’s all free power that is not wasted spinning up excess rotating inertia.

The difference between 2.526 and 2.190 FDR is several thousand less rpm on the main shaft between each acceleration and deceleration of the transmission. Top end improves, but sharpness also improves out of corners.

Also the clutch bell & pinions are very light & very small (Standard kit pinions & bell weight about 13g, the new ED weight only 6g).

Raceday has them for $125.00

AFM