R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Supporting Local SHOPS.
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2003, 07:22 AM
Evoracer
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

This is actually a really good thread.. I hope alot of folks take a look at it and come away with a better understanding of what they're ACTUALLY paying for when they use the LHS and why the shops desperately need them as customers.
My 2 cents worth. I am just starting a shop that specializes in RC Cars. I'm also investing in the necessary equipment to operate a racing program. It still amazes me that the biggest distributors of hobby products are also our biggest competitors!! I won't mention their names but you've all seen them with full page ads in all the magazines. How many of you know this?? Can you imagine how hard it is for a small company to compete against a company with millions of dollars at it's disposal?? And who makes it easy for them to do this??........You Do !!! Everytime you buy from them it's a slap in the face to the LHS who has to buy the product from them in order to sell it locally.I commend and support ANY distributor that doesn't compete against their dealers. Another fact...Many manufacturers WILL NOT sell direct to a hobby shop!! They only sell to the distributor and then we have to buy from them. Everytime you see the words" distributed exclusively by *****"... ask yourself , " So if this company is the distributor,why are they also trying to sell it to me??" In a perfect and fair world a distributor would not compete against his dealer customers. Last but not least.......the next time you show up at the track your LHS invested in, clip in the transponder that your LHS invested in,step on to the drivers stand they invested in and listen to the track director who probably volunteered his/her time...ask yourself.....Is this worth the extra few bucks this shop is charging ??? If you don't think it is then you might as well be running that nice new car of yours in the driveway because when the shop closes down so does the track. Next time you buy from mail order or a shop that doesn't support any kind of racing,keep that in mind. This is a great hobby shared by alot of friendly people. I agree with what was said before, Give your shop a chance to make a deal with you but understand WHAT you're buying. Sometimes you're buying alot more than just that part or that car.....you're buying service,support and a genuine interest in the sport!! Now go out there and give the Hobby Shop guy a big hug !!!!

Last edited by Evoracer; 03-18-2003 at 07:29 AM.