R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Is electric off-road on its way back to popularity??
Old 03-02-2007, 12:02 PM
Nay0k
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

in the NorthEast atleast, i think the electric classes are dying...let's put it this way...

my local track recently held an annual trophy race...two years ago, we would get up to F-Mains in classes like Mod Buggy, and up to D-Mains in classes in classes like Mod Truck. people came from areas such as Maryland, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, among others to race...

this year, we barely had enough Mod Buggies to make a D-Main, and barely enough Mod Trucks to make a C-Main...95% of the guys who raced were locals. those who would travel for this race have moved on to 1\8 buggy\truggies in indoor tracks for the winter...

part of this i believe has to do with the release of Losi's 8ight...in the 120 mile radius or so of where I live, people have always been hardcore electric fans, and said at most they would try 1\10th gas truck...as soon as they heard Losi was going to make an 1\8th scale buggy, all of the local guys ran out and got one(including myself ) due to these guys knowing Losi was a quality company as soon as they got the car...these guys also know that we have the only electric off-road track in about 90 miles (and that's only during the winter), and that 1\8th is growing around the rest of the country\world...

i don't think electric off-road is going to make a comeback until the problems are worked out of the new LiPo\brushless technologies atleast...