R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Ofna Cd-3
Thread: Ofna Cd-3
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2007, 07:02 PM
spenzalii
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I don't believe the track is heated. I can sympathize with you on the nitro withdrawals. However, if it's 40+ degrees and the ground is dry, you are sure to find somebody up at 301. With a track that size and that good, you can't help yourself.

The 301 crew have a few big races scheduled thru the year that you may want to come check out. The schedule is posted on the 301 Racing post in the Racing board (which stays active thru the year, I may add). There's also C Whit's Hobby Shop less than 5 miles from the track. Depending on the car (and if you really need it), Chris and crew can bring spare parts to the track, making repairs quicker.

True story: 2005 wasn't looking too cool in the DC/MD/VA area. There were a slew of racers, and I mean fast (regional and national fast) racers, spread thru the area but no real place to run. The clubs were spread out, some ran on the same day, making it hard to get a nice sized group at any one parking lot track consistently week to week. Some tracks shut down, some clubs stopped running, some hobby shops closed. The club and track that I ran with in '04 (Fastlane Racing) was about to hang it up. But rumors of a track being built in PG County began to pop up, and they didn't die off. Key people (your fastest of the fast drivers, your A+ hobby shop people) started dropping hints. By spring '06, we has asphalt and an address. Just about everyone in the area came out and helped get the track right: Painting, barriers, setting up the sound, treating problem areas, etc. The inagural season was a blast. We hosted the regionals, 1/5 scales, a few weekend races and a nice points series. We had a regular crew from NY come down, and a slew of racers here went up and raced with them. You really couldn't ask for more.

In a nutshell, Whit and his crew brought new life in the area. We now have a permanent track 3 times the size of the only permanent track we had for years, a hobby shop, dedicated crew and a racing environment that stresses having fun and bringing as many people into this hobby as possible, something that couldn't really be said before. If you can come down and see it, it is well worth it.