R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2007, 10:59 AM
fast-ho-cars
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Turbonium
couple questions, that im sure have been answred, but didnt find them in a search...

#1 what is the advantage/disadvantage of the flat vs angled servo mounts? talking about an L4 and a T-Fource, if that matters...

#2 and on the CRC-T i got, it is currently setup with damper tubes, and no side springs... is that correct? has mounts for side springs, but none fitted at the moment.

#3 and how does the CRC Graphite T-bar compare to the 'glass AE ones?
hey Wes, hope this helps

#1 alot of what your looking is way deep in this thread. i would contact Josh Cyrul if you want more solid answer. he has probably run near every 1/12 frontend combo in the last ten???+ years. His latest car has the AE Dyn frontend with a laydown servo. i believe he ran it that way at the IIC and Cleveland.

i tried the servo layed down with the Dyn front on a 3.1 CK years ago on carpet, didn't like it, went back to angled. i only tried it because i was told by a pro-driver that with the laydown servo the L/R wheels turn at the same angles (no ackerman), reducing speed scrub, faster corner speed, etc. i can't recall what the effects were for me, but that i didn't like it.

CRC may have some insight info since some run the servo angled or flat with the AE Dyn frontend from race to race.

i have a notepad document where i cut and pasted info in to. don't know if all are dead-on correct?
- angled, gives you more initial turn in
- angled on asphalt and flat on carpet
- flat, need long offset ball studs for your steering spindles to correct
the bump steer
- flat, lowers CG & eliminate mounting hardware
- flat, reduces slip angle of the inside tire on carpet. more efficient/faster
- flat, less ackerman and more stable and efficient in the corners.
- flat, on hi traction tracks...you don't need ackerman of angled config
- flat, more steering in 180s and less in sweepers
- angled, less steering in 180s and more in sweepers.
- flat, on a tight tracks

#2 nothing wrong with the way your running it. some run no tweak screws with the springs, some no springs with tweak screws, you can also do both at the same time.

#3 forward movement it's stiffer than a 75 t-bar, on the side to side slightly softer. i have run a graphite t-bar on a track that was dead on flat with zero bumps, ripples, or raised tape joints. the track also had a black groove in it. i didn't have any traction rolling problems that others had. when they changed the layout i had to go back to FG t-bars. once they put new carpet over the old carpet, but not glued down, i never ran it again.