R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - so many options
Thread: so many options
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2007, 09:07 PM
koinonas
Tech Adept

I started racing last year and am still very much rookie racer, so thought I'd share my experiences.

I started off with a TT01, mainly because I already had one to go bashing around carparks and stuff. As nexus says, its an incredibly tough car that can take a lot of abuse and parts are very cheap. However I found that unless your racing in a TT01 only class, it simply doesn't have enough speed to keep up with the others cars, even in the 540 class (chassis flexes a fair bit, and very limited gearing)

When I upgraded from the TT01, the TA05 was one of the front runners. I'd also say the Cyclone S would have been as well if it had been released at the time I was buying. They both appear to be good value cars with all the basic tuning options you need to get started off in racing.

Echoing previous comments, I'd say check out your local track and LHS and go with the one that is more popular or common. You will need parts (whether due to crashes or normal wear and tear) and advice, so go with the one that has more local support (other racers at your club, and LHS). If your starting out, both cars will be equally good and you probably won't notice any difference between then until your ability has outgrown the chassis.

FYI I ended up going with a Losi XXX-S when I upgraded from the TT01 as I was lazy (it came RTR with all electrics and radio etc) and seem to be cheapest way to get back into racing at the time. If I was to do it again, I'd probably be considering the TA05 (if budget was tight), Cyclone S (if it wasn't so tight and was looking at a lot of future hop-ups), or XRay T2R (if budget was a bit free-er and as there's a couple of LHS' in my area which stock their parts)