R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Super Size discussion
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2003, 05:36 PM
psycho
Tech Master

Default Re: Super size Tires

spooky,

That's great to hear that you guys have a strong racing program going. Things got shook up pretty well around hear in the last year. We went from having 2 places to race (neither permanent) to having 1. Then, suddenly we went to 4 with one permanent gas 1/8 scale track! We only have a carpet track in the winter and it's an hour an a half drive each way for me to get there.

As far as tires go, everyone runs HPI C10/30's here with the inserts that come in the tire. My FW04 pushes like a dumptruck, so I run 23's up front if I need more steering. Our track temps range from mid 70's to 140+ in the summer, and everyone runs C10/30's. I doubt you'll have much luck finding these any more, but the Cross Agress tires work really well when the track temps get hot. Unfortunately the Cross factory burned last year, so you can't get those tires any more. I ordered CRC
( www.teamcrc.com )donuts for an enduro race that we ran last year, but any 1/10 scale donuts should work fine. These are the ones for Serpent Impact, Mugen Avance, etc. BTW, my advice is put some kind of motor limit on the class. We had guys running .21's in their cars and the class was just nuts! It ends up just being a horsepower war and who has the deepest pockets. I race my car with a Collari 7 port turbo .12 and it's ridiculously fast, so I can only imagine what a .21 is like!

As far as inserts go, I played around with them a bit and didn't really notice much of a difference, to tell you the truth. I would suggest running the firm inserts if you use the C23 tires or you'll only get one heat out of the tires. It's some major coin for a day of racing if you're stuck running 23's. Everyone I know in the Bay Area that races superten (the past couple years, we regularly had a d-main in the class) runs HPI C10/30's with the foam inserts that come with the tires and they work very well. Another thing to consider with the class is to make the heats 10 minutes with a longer main. If you run a 4 stroke engine, like some of the FW04 kits come with, the car is slower on the straight than a 2 stroke, but you can make time in a 10 minute heat where a 2 stroke must pit for fuel. It makes for some interesting racing with real pit strategy.