R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - What Really Makes a Car Better?
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2007, 05:35 AM
Dredd
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Serpentd
When it idles high, does it stay high or does it slow back down from anywhere between 3 to 15 seconds? If it stays high, it sounds as though your low speed needle is lean. If it idles high and then comes back down it's too rich on the lowend. This can get tricky sometimes.

An easy way to tell if your lean or rich on the low end setting is to pinch the fuel line an inch or so away from the carburator and listen to what the engine does in the next few secons. If it wants to die in the first 1-4 seconds or so you are lean. If it keeps idleing for over 7+ seconds then you are rich depending on how long it continues to idle. You should be able to pinch the fuel line and have it idle for about 5-6 seconds before it wants to die.

This method is just to get you close so that you are not adjusting you idle screw to compensate for say a rich mixture that makes your car idle high when you come in the pits. It's idleing high for awhile because it's burning off the extra fuel from the low end setting. After you get it close, then fine tune it with 1/16 or at the most 1/8th turn incriments. Make sure your high speed needle is adjusted properly first before you start tweaking the low end.

I'm not saying this is your problem, but something to consider. After it's tuned properly you should have a snappy punch and return to a normal idle every time. Good luck bro and I hope I didn't confuse you. Engine tuning takes patients when first learning and excperience all around to become effiecent at it. Take your time and ask others for assistance if your stumped. It can happen to even experienced racers. Keep us posted on how things are working out for you on your tuning. Later bro.
Didn't want to turn this into a tuning help thread. Like I said I got the basics but it's always just a bit off from the perfect spot.

Anyway I think we can agree that the best car is only as good as the tuning, setup, and driver.