R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - motor tunning (rpm and amp)
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2007, 05:25 PM
Big B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Big Jim said "the best dyno is the track". As for your motor, its hard to say, to get an accurate dyno you should be running it at 7.6-7.8 volts if you are going to be using it in a 6 cell car. As for the dyno #'s they are open to interputation, but what they will tell you is how to gear your motor. Here are some tips to building a motor, first you want to align the brush hoods, break in the brushes on a low voltage as low as 1v for 5min, then remove the comm, make a single pass on a lathe, and the motor should be at its best. Alot of people change brushes way to much, you dont have to put new brushes in everytime you cut the com, I use a tip out of Big Jims RC Motor Blackbook, I install the brushes (which ever you like, I like F brushes) and never replace them, when you cut the com, use a orion comm stick to deglaze the brushes, thats it. Occasionaly you will want to strip down your motor and clean it, use a toothbrush to clean the inside of the can, armature, and endbell. You can use regular dish soap.