R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Why use overdrive with split?
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2007, 06:47 AM
Francis M.
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fabian K
I wonder why many racers use overdrive with split on tires on sedan cars like mugens kyosho serpents etc...

for example if you use 24t side pulley on mtx4 with 64mm on rear tires and 61,5 on front tires(many racers makes these split or suggest) you will have zero overdrive, its same using same tire diameter on both using 25t side pulley
some people say that is for the rear tire not come to be smaller that the fronts on the middle or final of the race i disagree because i race for many years and its not a problem for sure,

In other words if you use overdrive with minimum split or equal diameter i can agree because you will have the handling diferent with more steering on power so resuming i really want to know why reason racers or chassis factories made the overdrive to more seering on power (of corse so stranger nobody use without split ?????? where is the advantage????) or to make the rear tires finish the race not too smaller

I like to make my cars have enough steering without use overdrive because you will have less drag on drive train so you will have better performance higher top speed improved fuel comsumption etc....

Please i want to know if someone can explaine me if i am wrong or what the advantages of overdrive????

sorry bad english

Thanks

Fabian Kaloustian

Heres the explanation that I got when I asked the same question. In theory the car will handle differently even though there is no real overdrive when you run the recomended split because the arm position will be different in the front with smaller tires. The surprising thing to me was when I ran my mugen with the 25 tooth pulley and 0 split as recomended in the manual I actualy got less steering than the 24 tooth pulley with 2.5 split. It does change the feel of the car. I disagree with the notion that running a tire split will be better for rear tire wear. I think tire wear in general has more to do with overall setup and driving style.