R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Kyosho v-one rrr
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2007, 12:43 AM
johnypiston
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by johnypiston
Thanks Scott. I really think the issues were caused by the clutch as you say. Believe me ....I was feathering the thing especially since my pit guy (who is an experienced racer) thought I was being trigger happy and kept shouting ("EASY ON THE THROTTLE!!") ...so yes, I was being being very very soft on it. In fact, there were times when my car almost slowed to a halt I was being so careful.

I am so glad that you , a champion racer, are currently online! Can I ask you this burning question: Is it OK for me to take my car to the track on a non-race day and practice? ...considering that the track is not treated? Can I apply the settings and drive style I use on a non-treated surface to a treated surface? I would love to take my car to the track on a non-race day and at least get things working without the pressure of trying to adjust things during heats ...
Hey guys. So I took the car to the track on Sunday and, before I ran it, adjusted the clutch by losening the clutch nut (there is only about 1.2 threads showing above the nut now). Though the wheels spun earlier than before, I still have the same fishtailing problem. My initial instinct was to losen the nut again but something just did not seem right. Though I should have expected a bit of a struggle for traction, since the surface had not been treated, what I was getting was CRAZY TAILSLIDING ACTION. Again the car was undrivable ...though this time it was worse thanks to the lack of traction. When my drive belt (the main one next to the pipe) literally fell out ...twice, I realised there was something major wrong with the car. So I gave it up for the day and decided to strip it.
I then realised that during a mad crash at the track the previous week (a Mugen driver T-Boned me), the front part that holds the pulleys for the side and front belt had disloged two of it's screws. As a result, not only did I have no belt tension on the side belt (thus the lost belts), but my front belt was skew and was rubbing up against the servo saver ...my drivetrain was a MESS!!
My question is, could this have been responsible (partly or otherwise) for my fishtailing out of every corner ...or should I continue focusing on getting the clutch to grab at an earlier RPM? The way I see it, the extremely loose side belt meant more power was being applied quicker to the rear than the front ....effectively making my car a two wheel drive ...at least for a split second or so. Could this not have caused the fishtailing? I will know for sure when I go and test this coming weekend but I thought I should bounce my thinking off you guys first ...

Thanks