View Single Post
Old 02-08-2007, 09:10 AM
b4maz
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

Originally Posted by jblackburn
Most of the cars that run on the Encino Velodrome are not "normal oval cars." While there are a few 10L4s and 10L3s running standard front ends, most cars are running custom frontends with a lot of suspension travel. The special frontends started right before the 97 NORRCA nats held at Encino when Custom Works released a modified version of their Intimidator frontend - it was expensive (around $250 just for the front end). Donn Natale then put together a frontend based on the Associated Dual Sport suspension for around $70. Since then Randy at Big Boys Toys has a frontend that uses Associated Dual Sport front arms but with a aluminum base and different graphite bulkhead than Donn's. They have a lot more suspension travel than touring - the track is pretty bumpy when going at 60MPH. Almost everyone is running some sort of ground effects also. The entire bottom of my chassis is sealed up to the end of the chassis were the rear pod meets, and even that is extended more than a normal oval car.
I knew I hadnt seen a front end like that on an oval car before. Thats awesome ingenuity to cope for the bumpy conditions. But I guess a front end like that can cause a lot of drag if you were using a very low profile body for an insane speed run.