R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Magic G4
Thread: Team Magic G4
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2007, 10:36 PM
gtrmx
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Serpentd
DUUUUUUDE! All I can say is WOW! I was getting fired up as you were describing your track layout. What a track! I can definately tell that you have tied just about every type of set up you can do to a car to get your results. Which after your very thorough explanation makes total sense on how you ended up where you did. Like I said before...it wasn't way out there, but at the same time it was quite unique. It sounds as though that set up will get you through just about any type of track that's tossed your way. I would love to see a picture of that track if you know where I can look on the web. Or if you have a chance to take a few pics yourself someday. Very awesome! Where is your track located at?

A couple of questions:

1. Did the ED tranny help compared to the stock system (if you ever ran stock)? If so, what did you notice most about it

2. What gearing are you using for that track?

3. What brand of shock oil do you use? If you use TM, is that a similar viscosity to Serpent or Mugen? Or is it more like Losi and Associated?

4. It sounds like you are using TM shock springs. Are you happy with these springs? And have you ever tried a Serpent or Mugen spring or brand X instead. I'm not sure what springs to start out with. I own the TM, Serpent, Mugen, Xray...I think everything other then Kyosho. I ask this because the TM springs have 5 or even 4 coils whereas the other brands use 6 and some 5. Does this question make sense? The TM spring seem very adequite to me, however I still haven't got to run my car because of the cold ass weather and snow. We are having a nice day if it gets above freezing during the day with the sun out.

Well bro, thanks a ton for your input. It has tought me a lot about the car that I didn't understand 100%. I still need my own "hands on", but you shed some light in a lot of areas. Good job by the way with your driving today. That is by far one of the longest courses I have heard of being at a 21.5 sec lap. Damn!!! I'm use to 16-18.5 second laps on all the tracks I've been on. Right on dude, you take care! Later.

There are no pics of our track online...

I think I can get you a pic of just the layout, which I occasionally modify to post. It's just a simple drawing of our track. It has many options of layouts since it's all reconfigurable!! I'll be traveling for work for the rest of the week, but let me try to get you a pic later on during the week.

The ED transmission is absolutely necessary IMO!! It makes it easier for the car to take off, easier to set the clutch, it does improve bottom end speed and that just results in a higher top end as well. It relieves the engine of some unnecessary stress.

Gearing is 15, 21 and 51,46... stock gearing...

I am using Losi shock oil and ofna diff oil. Since ofna does not carry every multiple of 10k wt silicon I approximate to what I am looking for with 10k, 50k and 100k... kind of mix them in...

Your questions regarding the spring make total sense to me...
I also have Mugen, Kyosho, Serpent, HPI and other brands of springs...

I think Gansei once said he feels the Mugen front shock springs are very progressive but I have absolutely no complaints on the TM units. I actually love the little-box-o-springs!! You got there basically anything you could ever need for your racing...

I just spent the whole day at the track today fooling around with my setup...
I had previously been using a JP FX engine with a Skyline pipe. Today I used the Novarrossi 2630 and it worked better!! That along with other little changes made me drop my lap time from 21.570 to 21.280!! I changed the rear camber link to highest outside, lowest inside, which brings down the roll center. Also, I tightened up the spring in the servo saver to about 1.7mm.

Those three changes gave me a faster car all around. What is particularly pleasing is the fact that my previous best lap time was during the last important race in town with a better grip from many cars running around. My laps today were posted on a surface that has been washed by rains!! I can only imagine what my lap times can be with more rubber!! Please excuse the bragging!!