R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Magic G4
Thread: Team Magic G4
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2007, 10:05 PM
Serpentd
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by gtrmx
Gansei,

I know this is going to sound crazy to others but just give it a try and please let me know how it works for you:

Front
start with 1º of toe out
stiffest front roll bar
40 wt shock oil with 1.3 mm holes (this will depend greatly on the tracks surface)
2mm caster (right in the middle position)
shocks is lowest position
blue springs
2 or 2.5 camber and adjust according to tire wear
60k or 70k wt oil in the front diff (only to prevent oversteering out of the turn because I am already using 50k in the back diff)
2mm or 3mm of droop

Rear
3.5º toe in!! (I know, I know)
between 3º and 4º of camber
50k wt oil in the diff!! (please try it)
50 wt oil in the shocks with 1.3 mm holes also
purple springs, maybe acquas
original antiroll bar, totally flat (I know you are using the Mugen one, but please remove it for the trial!!)
shocks at the lowest position as well.
do not use the down stops at the back to allow lots of weight transfer to the front.
Keep your roll centers as per the out-of-box settings

You will get some drag on the straigthaway from this setting, but it has given me plenty in-and-out of the turn steering with no wash-offs.

You can keep tire shores the same from front to back or 40 fronts and 42 rears. The only reason for me to use harder rears is that our track is very abbrasive and this helps keep tire wear closer front to back, as does the 2mm split. Tire shore is obviously dependant on track conditions but keep them close from front to back.

While testing, I found that using 50k oils in the diffs front and back at the same time gave me too much steering out of the turns. But, if you have higher traction than I do, then you could even try using that same oil front and back. Since you already have 50k at the front, just change the back diff and start off with the rest of the settings you already have.

I see you are a proficient mechanic, so this experiment should not take you a long time.

Please give me your inputs when you get a chance!
Dude hey! This set up you gave for gensei doesn't seem too far out there. What is unique to me is how you make the front shocks softer then the rear ones. You might of seen on one of my posts that I have yet to run my G4S due to weather. But does the rear end on this car have that much bite (traction) to do such a set up? You mentioned your track being abrasive, how about the rest of it? Is it smooth...meaning no bumps, is the traction high-med or low and then is the layout more tight or more smooth and flowing?

I can see you getting some good rear traction with the 3.5 degrees of toe in and a flat sway bar. But overall, I will have to admit that this is a "unique" set up. But I like to hear or see things like this. A very different approach to what the "norm" usually is. One last question...how do the tires hold up as far as wear goes? Do they seem to have adequite life out of the tires? That might be hard for you to answer if you only run on your abrasive track. I was just curious. Thanks for posting this set up for all to see!

Gensei, let us all know how this works out for you.

Later guys!