R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - New MRT ESC
Thread: New MRT ESC
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2007, 06:55 AM
Terry_S
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mabuchi540
Losi XXX-CR soon and I too wonder if the cap is required. I know there is a small one already built in but would I really notice a difference using the big cap when running a silver can 540 stock motor?

Here in NZ that is the stock class and if I decided to run anything faster I'd usually get another car/Esc anyway so the chances this esc will ever see more than a 540 are slim.

So yes is it required and would I notice a difference for this class of motor?

I'd run it if there is a noticably difference but my MX is the solder post version with the wires already soldered on (the guy at HarrisRc.com did it for me - a real tidy job it is too ) and I'd rather not undo his good work so 'if' I do use it would it be ok to wire it onto the deans plug I'm going to use for the battery (which will most likely be under 3 inches - close to two in length anyway)?

Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by Mabuchi540
if not using it voids the warranty do you? I can't find anything specifically that says so in the instructions, there is only a mention that it must be wired according to the diagram, which of course shows the external capacitor.

Also, would connecting it to the battery plug (themselves only 2-3 inches from the esc) on a short lead, or direct to the plug, be ok?

As mentioned in my original post I'd rather not touch the tidy soldering job that HarrisRC did for me?
Hi Mabuchi540, sorry I've not been around to reply. As Skiddins says you probably wouldn't notice much difference but only because it's a silver can 540 stock motor, any other motor and it's not recommended to leave off the power capacitor. Your speedo will run more efficently with a power cap on a 'mild' silver can motor but won't be harmed leaving the cap off. The warranty is affected by not using a schottky diode, without one your speedo could be damaged in which case it wouldn't be covered by the warranty.

You MUST run a schottky diode and we recommend you also use a power capacitor.