R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Drifting!
Thread: Drifting!
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2003, 06:47 PM
Iso Octane
Tech Adept

Originally posted by warlord385
If you do a hard core drift you'll stay perpendicular to the apex. If you watch clips of 4WD sklines, WRX, Lancers, and rally cars you'll notice they don't use a lot of countersteer.
Ahhh, you are indeed correct. I went and watched the video of a Lancer Evo7 hard-hardcore drifting around a track, which ended with the car rolling... have you seen it? For 4WD yes but in the case of RWD, countersteer is still absolutely a part of drifting. Again I watched some videos (AE86s, Silvias, etc.) and the maintain at least some, to a lot of countersteer all the way from entry to exit (where they wag the tail).

again contrary to popular belief you don't need worn out tires to drift. If you engine has enough power to break traction you don't need worn out tires.
Well it isn't essential to use worn out tires, but if the goal is slip, then why not start off with something easy to slip with. In the case with RC cars, even with a set of "not-exactly-worn" tires it is still pretty difficult to break traction mid corner to that extent, with a stock motor. Also, with worn tires the transition from slipping to gripping is more gradual. I'm thinking of using some masking tape in hope that I can use a 540.