R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - predator x10
Thread: predator x10
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2007, 06:17 PM
WailinOnYa
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Scuad X:

The car actually has good suspension travel, but it is the suspensions design that is it's strength and weakness at the same time. The car looks cool as hell with such a low slung appearance but unfortunately it doesn't deal with big air well at all. The easiest way to deal with this issue is learning to take jumps in a very controlled manner. If you try and take a large jump hot like you would a XX4 you will be in trouble fast! The problem is that when set up to handle well in the corners and other parts of the track, you are left dealing with the more difficult parts to deal with, this being large jumps. The car will pan out horribly and bounce making you loose control of the car, this is where you have to learn to take large jumps differently than other cars. Obviously you can alter your shock setup to help with this bottoming but it is give and take and there is no miracle fix. The more you improve the bottoming problem the less traction you have because you stiffened up the springs or went to heavier weight oil, etc. The car corners like it is on rails and is fast. The suspension layout reacts unusual compared to other cars in that you need to run a very heavy weight oil in the rear, I am talking at least 60 to 80wt oil, unless you are only running on a very smooth track with small jumps. The other thing is if you use the stock pistons, jumping up in weight doesn't seem to have much affect unless you jump drastically like in 10wt to 20wt increments, it seems hard to believe, but when I initially ran the car with a stock setup of 60wt and was having problems with bottoming, I jumped to 80wt and couldn't hardly tell a difference! Right now I am running some Losi 10mm sedan pistons (white ones with the smallest holes). I had to modify them to fit the shock bodies and shock shafts. I am running 65wt and they seem pretty good, I still get some chassis slapping but not as bad since when I first got the car. The car uses unusually stiff springs as well, treading on touring car turf here with how stiff they are! I have learned alot since first owning this car and the first is patience! It is not a car for anyone who has little of this or is not interested in having to fiddle alot with setup. There are times when you love it and times when you hate it! One other point to talk about is a roll over. This car is so low slung that if you ever roll over when not traveling at a high rate of speed you are 95% guaranteed to remain on your top till the marshal gets to you, there are no protruding shocks or shock towers to help your roll follow through to give you a better chance of winding up on your wheels, obviously not rolling over in the first place will solve this isssue, but it happens and can be annoying.