R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Matched Cell Problems.
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2007, 04:43 AM
Mosc_007
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by kimbalion7
Well we found it with repeated results. The IB4200SHV terminal temp is 102.23+ degrees celis on no less than 20 odd occasions or above. The outside temp was 75+ on each occasion. The terminal temp on Sanyo cells (sorry cant tell specs Confidentially reasons) was 99.56+ on over 20 odd occasions outside temp 75+. But have you forgotten?? That the internial temp will continue to rise up to 30+ mins after you have stopped putting a charge into them. And that is the time that most likely an incident may occur?Simon
I am quite aware the internal temperature keeps rising for some time after the charge has finished. This explains why the cell can explode some time after charging. And since he put the pack into his Anti Static case after charging that stopped the cell from dissapating the heat. The heat was trapped and kept rising until fatal temperature was reached.

It is nice to see the figures on temperature for IB's and Sanyo. So it wasnt just co-incedence that I could charge my Sanyo's at 1C and still keep the outside temperature below 51 Degrees C. While doing a 1C charge on the GP's and IB's the outside temperature went over the 51 degree limit before they Zero Delta peaked.

Intersting to see what internal temperature they can run at. I had a real hard time searching the net trying to find what temperature a NiMH cell starts to become damaged at. I only found one answer and that was 80 Degrees C. Maybe that was the outside temperature.

Charles