R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Matched Cell Problems.
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2007, 02:13 AM
kimbalion7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Dear R/C Racers,

It seems that the Japenese have found another way to beat the Chinese!! They used to do it back during war times too, Disinformation

Mosc_007, Can you please tell the whole racing community how the Sanyo 3600 cells can perform better then IB4200SHV or WC cells again please?

Its just that i must be a lowly, no nothing.

I work for a multi-national power tool company, and therefore no nothing about cell technology. I have 10,000 IB cells that we are in the middle of testing and have found the quality of the product meets or exceeds specs.
We currently use Sanyo and Panasonic cells and i can asure you that they are made in Japan, not China. Oh and we only use 1,500,000 cells in production per week....

You asked what the teminal temp would be for a cell, Well we found it with repeated results. The IB4200SHV terminal temp is 102.23+ degrees celis on no less than 20 odd occasions or above. The outside temp was 75+ on each occasion. The terminal temp on Sanyo cells (sorry cant tell specs Confidentially reasons) was 99.56+ on over 20 odd occasions outside temp 75+. But have you forgotten?? That the internial temp will continue to rise up to 30+ mins after you have stopped putting a charge into them. And that is the time that most likely an incident may occur?

The IB cells have handled 10c and over discharge rates with no problems. Now 10C equates to 42 amp hr per a cell. So 6 IB4200 cells wired in series would equal what? Thats right 252 amp hr at constant discharge and would have to do that to meets safety standards constantly.

Now the cells availible today are far superior to days gone by, as well as the specs on the motors we use today. You suggested just to gear up the car, Bad move! Overheats the cells, motor and ESC. That will do damage!!
The correct battery/motor/gear ratio will minimise any problems.

"True, But you have failed to mention he was using a Temperature sensor. And when using a Temperature sensor it doesnt matter what value you use for the -ve Delta V as the Temperature sensor will stop the charge at a safe level." Um no, read above!!

Oh and we have equipment availible to us that can do upto 100amp per cell charge and discharge rates, and we use it!! Nicd cells will handle more abuse tha Nimh. I could go on for days here........

But when its all said and done, Use Common Sense!!!! The cells are just as good as the Japanese counterparts and will withstand a fair bit. To a point.

Simon