R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Ok So Here's The Story...
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2007, 01:04 AM
thunderbt3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Man, sounds exactly like a "kid" that comes into the hobbyshop all the time...

Im one of the RC Techs at the local Hobbytown USA and its located in a pretty upscale town (read: rich parents who have lots of money and dont care what stuff cost AND have spoiled kids because of that). So this kid comes in and wants a Nitro-4tec 3.3. I tell them it would be way too fast for a beginner. So the dad agrees and this 14-15 yr old starts crying in our store cuz he cant have the "fastest" car we had in stock. I started pointing them towards a Traxxas stadium truck (cuz of the parts support, ez start, easy to drive, and instructional DVD cuz we all know parents and kids never read the manual ). So this "kid" is still throwing a fit in the store and the dad caves in and gets a Nitro TC3, still pretty quick for a beginner but the dad was ok with the price.

A week later: kid breaks the pullstart and dad brings it back for repairs

Another week: Dad is pissed kid breaks new pullstart again and it gets repaired. I demonstrate the proper way to pullstart. Dad wants a refund for previous repair and parts but from the broken pullstart it was clear it was chaffing on the body. I told them dont do it again.

A week later: 2nd Pullstart breaks again. Dad is pissed at me that I sold them a crappy product and wants to call the manufactuer to get the part warranted. Comes into the shop with the car for repairs again and wants to know the contact info for Team Associated. I told them it was in the manual and I didnt know it off the top of my head. Dad says "I dont have the manual anymore, I filed it away for taxes" So obviously, they never read the manual. Im pretty sure the engine was broken in wrong AND there was no airfilter on it when it. So the dad says "You're gonna have to talk to Team Associated because I have no clue what anything is". I only work part time and I told them it might be awhile and I'll have a manager do it. Of course, he gets pissed and buys a new pullstart anyways so his "kid" doesnt have to wait for warranty work and can play with his "toy".

I personally learned to race with a RTR NTC3, I took care of it and never had problems with it. Yes I did buy it BY MYSELF when I was 18, im 22 now. My parents dont really approve of the hobby because of the costs but if im not spending thier money, they dont care.

In the past 4 years, Ive upgraded to better cars and better equiptment out of my own pocket. Ive bought new cars and spare cars OUT OF MY OWN POCKET.

In the summer races, ive over heard these yuppy parents yelling up to the drivers stand "good job" or "atta boy" when their spoiled kids hack on purpose on the track. If I break, o well, its a cost of racing but I have no problems sending these yuppies into the wall and back to the pits. I know thier yuppy parents will just buy them new parts and I'll keep "teaching" them until they finally learn.