R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Motor Lathe Question
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2007, 12:12 PM
Grizzbob
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Team Kwik
That description you are seeing on Tower is extremely old. Way back when you didn't have the ability to remove the arm from a stock motor. You would bolt the motor into a very different looking lathe, remove the hardware and cut through the opening in the endbell. The wording "modified motor lathe" is simply left over from this era when a "stock motor lathe" existed.

Nick
Exactly, I have an even older Cobra Mod lathe(got it about 11 years ago) that came out well before rebuildable stocks were introduced, & it works on them just fine. And about diamond bits, you can get just as good a finish from a carbide bit, but carbide bits can't do it nearly as many times before the finish does start to suffer(I could get about 20 cuts max before the bit would go bad). That's where you have an advantage with diamond, they'll keep going for YEARS & continue to give excellent cuts(& as an example, I've had the same diamond bit on mine for about 7 years now, & it still cuts beautifully, so I definitely consider it money well spent).....