R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Pantoura, 1/10 Pan Car, 2S LiPo, Brushless, Tips and Tricks.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:31 PM
John Stranahan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Dave-you are welcome. If you end up drilling holes in this stuff it's best to have a small drill press or maybe use the Dremel at very high speed. A portable power drill tends to walk all over the place as it hits angled layers of the fiber. You end up with a crooked hole.

TallyRC-I posted a figure that may help you understand antisquat percentage up above and also a long post on the differences between independent and solid axle antisquat. You are incorrect or not specific as to what traction is improved, I believe. I'll try to summarize.

On a four wheel drive independent rear suspension RC car this is the observed effect. If I raise the front of the rear lower A-arm up a degree or two, this makes the rear suspension stiffer on power. The rear end looses cornering grip as a result; the car gets loose.
Weight is transfered to the rear quicker. There may be more forward traction under some conditions like an off-road 2 wheel drive buggy launching off a jump. Four wheel drive cars are different and do not get better forward traction when you transfer weight to the back. The front wheels pull as well and need the weight. You actually loose efficiency at the rear and it may not pull as hard. The effect on forward traction on touring cars is small enough to neglect. Antisquat has a large effect on cornering and makes the car go poorly through bumps.

I postulated way back about 4 years ago on an antisquat thread that I started in preparation for writing RC Electric Car Reference that a solid axle rear car may behave differently and that we should build one. Well now I have. The books (full size car race books) say that for a 2 wheel drive, antisquat will cause the chassis to raise up increasing the load on the rear tires and give you more forward traction on power out of a corner. I think the books are dead on here and my new 3 link car proves it. This applies best to to two wheel drive cars with a solid rear axle. The effect is very significant.

So here is the thing. If the force line the red line in the figure is below the center of gravity or at the center of gravity you will get some chassis lift. The lower this red line is the more the force will just propel the car forward and not lift the chassis. So higher is more antisquat. At the center of gravity is 100%. The percentage is an arbitrary construction of one author Carol Smith in Tune to Win. We could talk about the angle of the red line as well, but it would not show the upper limit of usefulness to antisquat which would be at the center of gravity. If the red line goes below the ground we have prosquat.

RC Electric Car Reference
If you would like to see excerpts of the all new 3rd edition of RC Electric Car Reference in "Radio Control Car Action Magazine" send them an e-mail to this published address [email protected]. They have promised me a column with excerpts after requesting this new version of the book. I no longer sell copies.

Quote from our local track thread in Texas racing.
"nice day of club racing okay turn out about 9 touring and four 1/8 scale but lots of fun. Med. traction but still very fast lap times oh and one very fast electric pan car that was in the front for the first two qulifiers . wow that was nice to watch . cool and i will see you guys agian on the 21st ..."

Last edited by John Stranahan; 01-08-2007 at 07:06 PM.