R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Revive onroad club racing...how about a nostalgia class??
Old 01-05-2007, 10:33 AM
Hawk6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by andyh
...the main thing should be a class that requires the least amount of new investment. I have and F103GT so it's not that I have something againts them so bla bla bla (...and yes I do like the cars in real life and yes a full field of LMP/GTP RC racers would be awesome but..... ).

The majority of people already have some kind of 4wd touring chassis, so that would probably be the past of least resistance. Also as fun as F103s' are, they are 2wd, which requires a tad bit more skill involved (ie. a beginner has enough difficulties keeping a 4wd TC looking good so...).

For starters, a non "regular TC" (ie. Mazda 6, Stratus, etc...), non dish wheel class would cool. In regards to GTP or LMP bodies, unfortunately most of today's TC's shock tower heights are too tall to run low profile (even some GT) bodies (ie. Cyclone, Pro4 etc. are too tall to run HPI NSX body).

If you go to the ASERS website or the class description picture I posted, you'll see they have a GT2 class for 2wd chassis (F103GT) and then the GT1 class for 4wd touring car chassis'. Like real sports car racing, GT1 and GT2 are on the track together, but GT1s only compete against GT1s, same with GT2s.

Maybe that's a good compromise: 2wd = GT2 (even though it is probably faster than 4wd in skilled hands), 4wd = GT1. It doesn't force anyone to go out and buy another chassis, it promotes a lot of cars on the track since GT1 and GT2 race together.

I have absolutely no involvement with ASERS, but it sure looks like they put a nice recipe together. If the ASERS class structure became a standard at least across the US, I think that would be awesome.