R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - CRC's New Generation-X.... Your Thoughts?
Old 12-23-2006, 01:01 AM
James35
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

OK, got my kit in (over 1 month wait). Overall, I'm impressed with the build quality and instructions are great. Individual bags per assembly step make assembly easy.

A couple of things that could be improved:

The football 256 flat head screws are too short. They just barely have enough threads to hold.

The adjustable battery holders need a lot of material removed in order to make the batteries fit (I tested with 3800 and 4200's). If using the batteries in the forward position, you'll have to remove material off of the middle tab on one of the battery holders because it hits the football! Whats with that? This extra middle tab doesn't serve any purpose anyway.

Yep, the motor pods ride height openings are the largest I've seen. I had to spend some time and superglue multiple coats around the outer oval edge, being careful not to get it on the back edge, or else it would prevent the ride height adjuster from sitting flush and flat.

My right side hub is not true! It wobbles on the axle pretty bad. Putting a tire on exaggerates it, but you can even see it when spinning it by itself on any axle. I tried 2 other hubs, different bearings, and confirmed the CRC right side hub is the problem.

The left side hub is a joke. Weighs more than a tank. It's quite obvious that CRC has a bunch of these on hand, and are trying to get rid of them with their kits. It's the red version of this:

I'm throwing it in the garbage and replacing it with something like this:

My bevel spring washer for the diff is bent. And it's too big to fit a tire over anyway. Again, not sure what CRC was thinking here.

My kit (from the recent second Christmas batch) did not come with brass set screws designed to prevent damage to the kingpin threads.

One of my Torpedo tubes came without the threaded opening. Click attachment below. CRC is sending a replacement.

In summary, I like it overall, and I'm looking forward to driving it. CRC has some quality control issues, tolerance issues, and a few design issues.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9422s.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	189814