R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2006, 02:36 PM
fraz
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
Given the different torque characteristics of brushless vs brushed and the difference in weight between TC and 1/12th...I wonder if it would still test equivalent to a 19T in a 1/12th.
Here in NorCal we have been switching over to brushless for 1/12 scale and 19t sedan and have been running mixed class of BR/BL. Lemme tell ya, it's not too close, but not a million miles apart either. The allowed motors are Novak 13.5 for stock and Novak 4300 for 19t. In stock, it is getting to where almost everybody has switched to BL including me. In 19t the BL is faster but the faster racers** tend to run this class and many run BR. But you give a BL to a lesser driver, they have a much better chance of keeping up. A BL in the hands of a top driver is a potent mix.

I consider myself a decent driver (was on TQ pace last couple times and bobbled) and I can also build pretty fast BR motors. But what I saw in 1/12 stock was guys who I would always beat hands down were running BL and flat out beating me. The increase in torque allowed them to overshoot corners and consistently make up the time just because they have gobs of torque. It didn't take long and I went and bought a BL system the next week.

Now in touring car, it's a wash. The gained torque from BL helps but then loses to the top end of a BR motor.

I think we are getting to the point where a) the adoption rate is high enough, and b)the performance variance is too great from BR to BL, that we need to split the classes. What it is doing here is forcing good BR people to plunk down big $$ for a new system and motor just to keep up and that's simply not equitable.

Aside from the commentary, I have run my new BL 13.5 twice so far and it is a blast. One thing I have noticed though is the extra torque gives a bit of an on power push so you really need to alter your setup and the way you approach corners.