R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - It's Everybody's Fault
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2006, 07:56 PM
Juan Aveytia
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Silver
I don’t believe my eyes Juan. Have you run a track or shop? Been responsible for rent, utilities, and all that wonderful stuff?

I am closing my doors at Rain City after 7 years. Run it like a business? What have I been doing? Every area and every population is different. The income levels, the owner’s time available to work, the rent is all over the place, and so forth.
So, I have a carpet track and Roar decides on what I should do and that I should spend $$$ a month to advertise. .
So, should I pay my utilities or my credit cards?
You make no sense in the real world of track owners. Our profit margin is about 30-40% depending on source and volume. Most regular businesses have a 60-100% or more mark up.
You know, like what they put on the kit boxes? That no one would dare to sell for. And no one would buy.

I have had some VERY good years and could always make my bills. It’s changed though.
“Don't say that the tracks are just doing what the racers want, to make everyone happy. They're the race directors. It's up to them what we race.” Hmmm, not sure that’s a good idea.
“OK RACERS! Now you have to run mod, on foam, and I have put in some great big blocks of concrete and wooden boards.”
I don’t think that’s what you meant, but every track has to try to figure out what works, and what will continue to work and keep racers happy and coming back. The years I’ve been doing this, we’ve done almost all the different classes out there. People like a change and so we would try something different. I WANT the racers to be happy. They are our friends and our RC family.

I do totally agree with McSmooth AMEN, AMEN, AMEN.
Amazing amounts Josh. But we could afford it if we did our business right. haha

Those who have been around understand the BIG races and how ROAR plays a part. Thank you Rick for helping them to understand.

As Mark said, we have a sanctioning body. And it is trying to work. It's had some rough years and sounds like they are on the right track. So get to your regional director or anyone on the excomm and send some messages. Volunteer to help. Vote. Have an idea? Let them know and that you are willing to take the time to check into it and follow it thru.

I don't feel the RC life is a mess. Almost everyone who posts here cares for RC and wants to see it continue. Everyone has to know the problems and changes coming in order to help with solutions. There is some valuable info on RCtech and some great people who help others out a lot.
Discussion is good. And the passion is there.

So, support your track, give help to newbies, volunteer to work on tracks and make racing happen. It's a blast.
I haven't run my own track or shop. But, I have run my business for almost 7 yrs. And yes sometimes it's diffucult to do so. But, my point was this. Every track owner needs racers to race at their track to succeed. But, you can't count on racers to bring new in faces. And when things are going good, try and take advantage of it. And try to take it to the next level. Don't get content on where your at, but push even harder. I'm sorry to here that your closing your doors. But, this is all the more reason why a real system needs to be put in place.
Racenut123 no freaking kidding, advertising cost money. None of the norcal tracks have done much in changing the way we grow the sport/hobby in our area. Sure, you built a top notch facility, but your stores potential may never reach it's full potential if you continue run it the way it's been run regarding racing. It's just funny to me, that the most common comment I hear from track owners is, " where are all the racers at? / I don't know what to do". Not saying your particular store is asking those questions, but I know you guys are striving to become the premier racing venue in norcal. I know your the only track in norcal that is working towards bringing in new racers. Not just trying to keep the the old racers. Stick to a consistent advertising plan and work it. I'm not posting here to argue or upset anyone, but things can been done alot more efficiently. Where you as track owners could make a plan. I'm just going to quite talking cause it seems like you guys have more reasons not to advertise than my kids do for doing their chores. You can't expect to open a track and everyone quite going to the one they have raced at for years to go to yours. Quite fighting for the old racers and bring in new ones. (this quote was written in general, not at anyone inparticular)