R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - ROAR to 4 cell....
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2006, 09:09 AM
OldNSlow2
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer
event to some VERY qualified drivers in mod, I was TQ in stock.

I ended up running a 7 turn motor on the 5 cell car, and never really did have the speed the top 2 had on their setups, not even close, really. And 2-3 of the guys qualified behind me had cars that were considerably faster on the straight, like a stock motor running in 19turn is what it looked like.
Both times with the cobalt, the majority of the motor was at 240+ degrees, and the endbell would still sizzle spit for 2 minutes after the race was over. No fans on the car (forgot them, new car... it happens.)

-Bob
I have been trying to stay out of this....but.... isn't the idea to slow down a little? Both you and Josh have tested and commented that it is almost as fast or could be as fast yet the idea when this whole thing started was to slow things down a little. Why do you keep trying to go as fast as 6 cells if the idea is to go a little slower.

As Josh pointed out, the lap times are so fast that very few people can drive these cars in Mod, fine with me, the best of the best should be running Mod anyway, let the mear mortals run 19t. You don't see too many local drag racers run Top Fuel, and that is what Mod is for R/C cars.

And by the way, comparing our stuff to NASCAR or F1 fits sometimes but when it comes to speed the problem is those things have PEOPLE in them! When NASCAR cars started flying into the stands they slowed them down, when F1 got too fast with power and downforce they were killing people, that is not the same as breaking a steering block!

Honestly I can see the advantage of both leaving things alone and changing to 5 cells, for sure not four. If the idea is to go a little slower which should break fewer parts and cut down on wear on things like tires then it is probably a good idea. But can we afford the expense of the learning curve to make 5 cells work?