R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - On-road beginner, Looking for a RTR..
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2006, 09:41 AM
CurveTracer
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I agree with razzor.
Parking lot bashing and track racing are very different. The amount of control required for the track is more than people imagine.
If you have already done some off road racing with your off-road vehicles you are better prepared. Nitro cars can be wicked for a beginner, even worse for someone who is not used to driving on a track with walls that are unforgiving.
Use the parking lots for initial engine tuning exercises, and general radio and suspension/steering setup. I prefer to perform initial engine breakin in a parking lot rather than a track.

Using a car model that other racers use helps you with setup and spares (some people break parts).
If you choose a model that no one else is using (which is ok). Be prepared to research options, parts and chassis setups etc. For example I race Ofna CD3's, a rare car in my area. But my car is durable, and I have a good handle on the chassis setup now, but that was not the case for first few races.
When I improve my racing capabilities in the future I may consider a more expensive/refined car model.

If your track has practice days schedules, take advantage of those for driving, chassis and drivetrain setup. This will make the most efficient use of your time.
It's no fun when you ruin a raceday because you crashed due to insufficient
preparation, practice or or a bad chassis setup.

Spend some time with a club if there is one available in your area.