R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - ROAR to 4 cell....
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2006, 10:29 PM
STARSCREAM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DerekB
Josh, I'm not sure anybody is attacking your opinion, but what not do the "cheap" solution and think about a closed-endbell class. Those motors are about $12, would be slower and be the real alternative to changing the industry standard.

You really have to think outside who you want to race with and think about what the simple task of "unsoldering" a cell does to the rest of the industry, and for those who never asked for the slow down.

It seems that the only people asking to be slowed down are "modified" carpet racers. Well there is more than one class in our hobby, and further subdividing, so that off-road racers can't run touring car, or RTR guys can't show up at the track because you want to race against new people is crazy. Instead of paying people to race stock, manufacturers should be making the incentive to move up and allow new people in. Stock is slow, I don't care what anybody says about it, it's slow. Maybe not to the new guy in the A-Main of stock, but at most tracks that's where beginners start. But you go to these big races and factory back drivers are in stock. The same 20-25 people are at every big race filling up the top 3 mains. Why as a person wanting to race would I waste the time trying to beat these guys who have been racing stock for 10 years?

Cost of product will not triple, how can we have speed controls that are $23 and work fine up to 17 turns, but our $200 speedos "don't work" That seems like user error to me. I am not the fastest guy, but I race mod and I've never had these issues. I've had a 19-turn unsolder at the ICC, but that was a hung brush. Should I be mad and want to go slower?

Racing is about pushing it. If you're a real racer you'll always be on the edge, of something. Crashing, burning, melting, cheating.

I know that you think that everybody buys a new car every year, but that's not the case. People race things for longer periods of time, it's not the same as it was when we raced 15 years ago. We now want tires that wear out every run, brushes that wear out, motors that are way to powerful, and cars that go to fast.

But it's very odd to think that we need to slow down something, when 1/8-scale off-road and nitro in general is growing out of control. The reason is not speed, but cost to maintain. Yes you can argue if we went slow we'd not break, but that is not what anybody races for. People who complain that racing should be cheaper probably shouldn't be racing, or can't make the A-main and should be happy. Racing is expensive in any scale, that's how it works.

Maybe all the factory guys should run 5-cell silver can with all plastic cars, and stick packs to show it's not about winning but racing to save a buck?

Again, this is a change to one class that is not in the standard of the industry. 4-cell oval and 1/12-scale don't count because even though they may be twice as popular as last year, it's still almost nothing in the terms of the hobby.

As a track you might see, or might not that racer cars are sold at about 1 for every 20 RTR. Those RTRs need to be fast, or those POS NIkko and other toy brands will take over, because they are cheaper and getting faster.

I wish everyone thought as logically as you do D......

Maybell