R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - ROAR to 4 cell....
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2006, 01:59 PM
Josh Cyrul
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It's funny to hear that everyone is soooo worried about "going slow". How about going fast without having failure problems and racing against 9 other cars in your heat that all race and finish?? How many of you out there can actually wheel a car to it's max potential in stock/19T/modified???

Do I need to say it again?? I just ran 5-cells and ran the EXACT SAME lap times as I did with 6-cells. Was it slower off the corner and down the straights, technically no - I had a radar gun and there was only a 1mph difference @ top speed on a 90'x40' track. The difference is thought that you have a car that is more drivable (this does not mean slower). With 6-cell, I roll the throttle easier and only drive the infield at 1/4 throttle to control speed from corner to corner. With 1 cell less I am driving in the 1/2-3/4 range which means there is a lot more room to play with the throttle and control the car. More precise driving = less wear, tear and and a higher probability for better racing in traffic.

Last year we had great turnouts of 55+ entries for our Sunday program and there was 1-2 heats of 1/12 stock and a total of under 15 racers with 1/12 cars. The other 40+ was all TC racers. This year, it's exactly the opposite. We have 1 heat of stock TC and 1 heat of 19T TC and that's it!! All the rest is 1/12.... Cheaper, easier to drive, easier to set-up.... People want to race, have fun, not have to fix their car every run and not go broke doing it.

Yes, we all want to go out on the track and go as fast as possible but there needs to be rules to keep things inline so people can race, be competitive (I mean in competitive human nature not just level of competition) and enjoy the hobby/sport. If rules don't change and adjust for technologies advancements we will turn our sport into a tighter "nich" group than it is (imaging if F1 didn't change rules to slow the cars down each year). Cost to race will go up, with that there will be less people racing, less people to support a track/hobby shop to keep the doors open.....

Don't forget, I've owned and R/C track for 3 years now and raced professionally since I was 14 (now 28). I've seen the change in speed over the years and it is so impressive but it's to a point that something needs to be done for the future. I applaud EFRA and JMRCA for their efforts reguardless of the people on the internet have to say. Hopefully, ROAR and IFMAR will follow suit soon.