R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - LIGHTSPEED PRODUCTS
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2006, 07:59 AM
AHR43
Tech Fanatic

Default Motor Questions

Hey Ron and L.P.I.,
I am using one of your #4040 8x1 Cobalt2 Based Motor-Standard brush. I use it in my electric dragster. Power is either 8x2200 NiMH (a 2/3 subC cell) or a newly assembled 8x2400 NiCD.

Here are some questions I hope you can help me with:

1) I seem to get an excessive amount of silver transfer or deposit on the comm. I am using #4040 brushes. Is this normal for my application? Is there an alternate brush you can recommend?

2) The motor came equipped with black springs. Are these the lt/med strength springs? Should I increase spring pressure to a Red-medium, or a Purple-Heavy? I estimate motor RPM at 35,967.

3) The #4040 came with two different style springs. What is the difference b/w a standard spring and an overhead spring? Which is which on my #4040 motor?

4) In my discussions with Jeremy, he said he would provide a Yokomo arm for the can. It provided more RPM. How can I tell if it is a Yoko arm? The windings are wrapped, tied, and epoxied over at the comm connection end of the arm if that helps.

5) How small a diam. can I cut the comm? I've cut it once and it is at 0.28" (7.3mm). I came to me at 0.29" (7.4mm)

6) You provide a zapping service for can magnets. What is your estimate on how often I will neeed to re-zap running 8cells? Are there indicators that will help me make a decision to re-zap before performance falls off drastically?

7) Do you have NEO magnets that you can install in the can? I intend to bump the power up to ten cells and have already built the packs.

//AC//