R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - so much for "not equivalent" voltages between nimh/lipo
Old 12-04-2006, 11:17 PM
syndr0me
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

The biggest problem with keeping brushless and LiPo in a separate class (at the club level) is that most clubs don't have enough turnout to support new classes, and we've got too many already. I think it's CRUCIAL to find a way to integrate the two as fairly as possible, otherwise you risk driving people away on both sides.

If you're just talking about clubs, let the 13.5 run in stock, the 4300 or 5800 in 19T, anything in mod, and let LiPo run in any 6 cell class so long as the car makes weight. There's no reason to keep them out, or try to force them into some special class. These things really ease the pain in racing, and putting people in a separate class will discourage them, and possibly drive them away entirely. Don't push people out that want to make R/C easier, your clubs aren't so competitive that it's going to make a difference. Forcing people into a separate class almost sounds like a stall tactic, because it's very discouraging to be separated from the other racers that refuse to come around.

For the big races, dedicated non-mod brushless classes sound like a great idea. How about dropping 19T one year, and replacing it with 10.5 (4300) brushless that allows LiPo, with reduced weight requirements. If people are truly interested in embracing new things and helping them along, the the competitive crowd that runs events needs to do their part.

Last edited by syndr0me; 12-04-2006 at 11:48 PM.