R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - what is the correct way to store battery?
Old 11-29-2006, 11:16 AM
Iceracer
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xrayroooahhhh
Hey guys......I just purchased a used xray to start racing the touring class. I have a very small budget...until after christmas to get me started. The car came with six 3300 packs. The charger I bought charges at up to 5.0 amps. But discharging......I have no idea how to get the most out of these packs for now. Do I need a dishcharger? What would be the most cost effective way to keep these packs working for the next month until I can purchase what I need!!! Any help would be great R.
Are they side by side batteries or stick packs?

For a stick pack, its only reasonably convenient to discharge them in series down to 5.4 volts. You could probably get a bulb discharger and cuttoff bug for around $20.00, or fabricate something yourself with tailight bulbs and watch over it with a digital multimeter.

For a side by side pack you can discharge them in series down to 5.4 volts using the above method or a more expensive and higher amperage discharger then equalize them in a tray. You could get a used bulb type tray for around $20.00 and watch them carefully, or get a used Novak Smartray for around $50.00, it is better because it has automatic cuttoff on each cell.