R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - ROAR to 4 cell....
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2006, 08:22 AM
RC Pro 1
Tech Fanatic

I've read everything posted on this subject even though it doesn't directly effect RC Pro since we don't do electric onroad it is a concern. I see the same thing coming for electric offroad in the not to distant future. The indoor offroad is going to have to deal with this soon. Since these tracks almost have the same traction as touring cars. The RC Pro solution is run longer races. Last year when we started that there were concerns about run time until the 1st race and most found out they could make a 7 minute stock race with a 3300 pack. Same for the 6 minute mod races. Last year our battery limit was 3800 this year it was increased to 4300. We didn't increase race length again this year but it will likely increase in 2008 by 1 minute per class.
I see Bob's input on slowing down the entry level to bring in more new racers. He has a valid point. Either we develop a more entry level class or we move the pro's out of stock. A thought is to have two stock classes STOCK ( for the entry level racer) which could use a voltage limiter and PRO-STOCK for the sponsored racers. This would allow for a slower entry level class without the need to buy different equipment. Then when a driver is ready to move up the voltage limiter would be taken off. The problem with instituting the entry level class is this should be something that starts at club level. The problem with that is most clubs don't get a large turnout and it seriously dilutes the racing to have too many classes so in reality this kind of approach will fall on the larger races. In gas offroad and gas onroad we do have a more entry level class for the most popular classes at our division and national events and it's worked real well. The problem is regulating when people should move up in class effectively. Electric offroad would have a problem adding a class since there are so many classes now but we may have to do it in the future to get new racers.
I sure don't have all the answers nor does any sanctioning body. This is where exchanging ideas with racers is important. There are a lot of passionate racers here with some good ideas that should be considered. I'm personally not a fan of changing to 4 cell or even 5. That IS one way to slow some of the racers down. In all honesty how many racers will put a slower motor in to assure they finish the race when they know others are running a more ballistic motor? NONE we're racers we want to try everything we can to win even if it's possible we won't finish the race! That leaves the race organizer to do it for the racers. I happen to be a fan of extending race time to do that. Even in stock it causes people to rethink their gearing to run longer. I'm NOT saying make the times long enough we get into batteries not making the run time. I sure don't want to see a return to having to have the newest battery on the market to win philosophy.
Just my thoughts........... flame suit on. LOL

Carlton Eppes
RC Pro President