R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - passing etiquette
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2006, 02:52 PM
stiltskin
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DaveW
I tote a 5 pound hammer in my pit box for drivers like this. Its in my back pocket when i volunteer to corner marshall...

Qualifying is just that, qualifying. It is how fast you can get your car around the track without interfering with others that are trying to do the same thing. That includes moving out of the way for a faster driver, or at LEAST making a solid attempt to do so... accidents DO happen. During a race, its a different story. I dont give away position either... the person behind me has to earn it... just as i would, but WITHOUT CONTACT. Its really hard, knowing you are faster than the person in front of you, and to be patient and wait for that hole to slip by them for position... sometimes it never comes... but it makes you a better driver, as well as a respected one. Now, if you are being lapped by lead cars, a solid attempt of moving out of the way is expected. Put yourself in their shoes... wouldnt you want lapped cars to get the "eff" out of your way if you were making a run for the win?

Now, there are such instances where contact is made that is clearly, um, how can i say this... INTENTIONAL. Thats when you grab that earlier mentioned hammer, and take care of business...

Alot of new people to this hobby have never competitively raced an open wheel class... like offroad buggy or truck, for instance. It is in your best interest to give room and make way for traffic, fast OR slow. In TC and/or closed wheel/body classes it is much easier to bump and fender someone and not get hung up, or have to wait for a corner marshall to fix the situation. Corner marshalls add ALOT of seconds to the clock... moving up and out of the way can add only tenths of a second... if done right. If your car is slow, or you are just plain having a crap day and cant seem to "get your wheel on", then be polite and move out of the way so the only entry fee "wasted" is your own. No one likes a hack...
No better way to say it. AMEN!!!