R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - newby questions
Thread: newby questions
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2003, 02:16 PM
rbgti
Tech Apprentice

BTW I don't think a beginner should be driving around a track with a PIXIE engine. If memory serves me correctly that is a 1.8hp engine, the most powerful factory production engine I've ever read about.

There's this guy that comes down to our shop all the time, man that dude is a mess. Buys a brand new V-one RR, doesn't build it himself. DUMPS an extra $1000 on chassis hopups and extras. Buys the most expensive radio system the shop has. Buys 2 engines, one of them being a 1.5hp Novarossi S5T. Has the car tuned by the shop owner, a former world champion. And how does he drive such an awsome package, like a blind man! He's far too noob than he would like to admit, LOL.

All I'm saying is don't get too caught up in the power game with nitro cars, it just means you have a more difficult car to drive. I run a MT12 as well, and finally have the guts to get it modded. MT12 is best bang for buck, absolutely love it, if I drive good that engine will let me dog fight with the boys with the fancy ass engines.

For steering servo, buy the best thing you can afford, focusing mainly on speed of the servo. You dont need more than 80 ounces of torque for a touring car, but I use a Futaba 9402.
For throttle you can use a "standard" servo. A standard servo has more than enough torque to lock up your brakes. I use a Futaba S3004 32ounce torque/ball bearings. Saves you money too. For me its amazing how the guys in my shop use $250 servos for their throttle, plain overkill. Must be nice to have money hehe.

Most engines come with break-in instructions that are easy to follow.

Ronni is right, many things you just have to learn as you go on.