R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - test driving the piranha p2
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2006, 05:37 AM
re-inferno
Tech Apprentice

Default test driving the piranha p2

The piranha P2 is a concept car of a friend of mine that's aim is to show off what is possible with today's technology.
Apart from several donor parts at the rear and front end (which are not hard to guess ) everything from the carbon/kevlar tube chassis up to the PET body is handmade.

The P2 may not look like a typical 2wd buggy, and neither does it handle like one. Driving the piranha feels more like driving 4wd since the rear end is soo stable yet responsive. (now I understand what Charles Sinclar - www.2wdrc.com - meant when he compared the rear end of conventional 2wds to a pendulum)

The P2 is not only stable but very predictive, so there are no nasty tendencies while accelerating, braking or cornering.

On the other hand, there are still some things to get right: Steering isn't quite where it should be, featuring only ~ 70% of other 2wds steering throw, which together with the not yet tuned front suspension adds quite some understeer.

Because of its stable driving characteristics, the piranha P2 could benefit from a good amount of oversteer which would make it very agile, yet controllable I guess.

However, due to LIPO battery (NiXX Sub-C won't work weight-wise), some other nasty stuff and a mere 1200g, it will never be legal under sanctioned racing.