R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - ROAR to 4 cell....
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2006, 12:47 AM
BigDogRacing
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

There's no doubt this whole thing has been spurred by the changes in IFMAR etc. I also agree that very few of us will ever compete at the World's races, but I feel it would be foolish to venture away from the standardized rules that are currently being established. (at least as far as racing goes) I'm just as American as anyone here, but from a marketing and business standpoint, it just doesn't make sense to stray. Conversely, if we worked together and supported our NATIONAL sanctioning body we would probably have a lot more sayso in what goes on, and hence we would have some bias on the standard international rules.

I can see why ROAR doesn't get in a big hurry to spread the word on things they are looking into changing. I mean, look what happens EVERY TIME. C'mon guys, quit bashing and calling names and think of a positive way to deal with the situation at hand.

Raf- Even though I like you, and I certainly have a blast hangin with you at the big races (when I get to go occassionally), I don't appreciate your blanket remarks. The down right truth is exactly opposite of what you said. What I know, and the amount of knowlege I have is sometimes not very well represented by my poor communication skills. I just type the thoughts that come out my head...lol. I don't have that built-in cognative ability to write a great speech as I go along... but I'm not blabbing about a buncha crap I know very little about. But I forgive you...

Bob I wasn't implying that at all... I was actually serious. I know from reading your posts for the last 5 or 6 years that you are passionate about this hobby.

Derek once again, please go back and read my point about the batteries. You keep talking about heat and compounding negative aspects... but I think you missed the part about wattage and weight. It goes right along with what Danny is saying- the voltages are higher now as well as the capacities. Maybe I can over simplify my point in case some one isn't following...

batteries from 2 years ago- 3.7 ah x 1.16AV = 4.292watt hours. (per cell)
today's IB cells- 4.3ah x 1.24AV = 5.332watt hours /cell.

the watt hours is the energy that we have to use. Assuming the heat and loads weren't a problem, we could literally run three 2cell packs and go as fast as we go now with 6cell packs. Here's the reason in theory-

6cell in series- (1.24av/cell * 6 = 7.44AV) * 4.3ah = 31.992watt hours (total energy)

three 2cell packs- (1.24AV/cell * 2 = 2.48AV) * (4.3ah/cell * 3 = 12.9ah) = 31.992 watt hours.

Same amount of total energy. Please forgive the over-simplification, but sometimes it's easier to see it than figure it on your own. Now given, the 2x3 pack would need a LOT bigger pinion, but it would be about the same. Now, reduce the weight of the car. Less mass = less energy needed to retain the same power to weight ratio. We can't hack a few mm off the bottoms of the cells and reduce the capacity, so let's reduce the voltage by one cell. We know from experience that less energy means less heat and better efficiency, so if we can keep the same performance by keeping the power to weight ratio the same (Advil- read; not slower) while reducing the energy used, we reduce the heat. We will also reduce heat loss and other less important stuff, but the key is that the motors and batteries will last LONGER, not shorter times. So now that I'm not burning up my EA custom tuned 19t because it's coming off the track at 240 geared 5.60, but my car is turning laptimes just as fast as it did with a 6cell, hmmmmm maybe I can go up a few teeth- why, yes, now that Im starting to tune the car for the 4cell or 5 cell setup, it's actually going faster!!! LMAO.

I know that was a little corny, but you get the picture.

I'm so tired I'm delirious.

P.S.- I would really enjoy these discussions a lot more if we could stay on a more positive note. I would also participate more if they didn't get so negative. My Daddy always says "you can attract a lot more flies with honey than vinegar"