R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - The RS Spyder
Thread: The RS Spyder
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2006, 12:28 PM
spyderdave
Tech Rookie

5. more results. pulled off the middle-section and the bonnet and another nose-section. the middle-section part received some sandwich -reinforcements as i added some balsa wood in between two layers in the side-pod area. worked out really well and is extremely stiff although it has less layers than the other parts. the second nose-section got a little too much clear gelcoat in the air-intake area. but doesn't matter as it will be painted some day. also started trimming the edges of all parts. cut out the headlights. i built special "masks" to put on the fenders while marking the area to cut away. with these masks i will always be able to cut out the same area for the headlights on a new nose-section. this way, the headlight covers will fit on each new nose-part. also made a "prototype" of a headlight cover. it is made out of clear (of course) polycarbonate...heated up and pressed into the mould, then cut out. looks quite nice, but still far from perfect.

@ TryHard: first, nice to get feedback from a professional.
yes, i applied some epoxy/glass to a small part of the foam-core (on top of the body, the flat area right next to the cockpit) but thought it wasn't necessary to apply it elsewhere. i was afraid it could change the shape of the model too much because when i made the core, i did not calculate the thickness of an additional layer of glass. i will try it with the next model, that's for sure. but even without this additional layer the result is quite nice...at least for my standarts. :-)
also visited gurit.com. some nice stuff there! but it looks like they only sell to the industry, right? not the smaller quantities i need.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT4698 1.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	184.2 KB
ID:	182612   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT4811.JPG
Views:	315
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	182616